Exercising With a Mask - More Harm Than Good?
Amidst the nationwide COVID-19 response, we are seeing a plethora of strategies and tactics to "slow the spread" of the virus. As of late, we've seen public mandate from exercise entities calling all individuals within the boundaries of the facility to wear a mask at all times; including during moderate-to-vigorous physical activity. While the masks are proven (and this should not be disputed) to slow the spread, wearing a mask while performing physical activity is proven to create a near-dangerous imbalance of the Oxygen-to-Carbon Dioxide ratio.
When this imbalance is created, a surplus of potential problems can arise, including reduced cognitive function, decreased lung function, dizziness, drowsiness, fatigue, and headache, to name a few. With these potential dangers present, it begs the question - What even is the answer? Should these exercise entities even be open? Many will argue that physical well-being is an "essential", and I would agree wholeheartedly. However, we are in unprecedented times. I certainly do not have the answer, and I am fortunate to not be in a political position to provide one. What do you think? Do these exercise entities have an essential right to remain open? As the owner of a private facility, would you enforce a mask for all, despite potential preexisting conditions?
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on wearing masks while exercising. This is definitely an interesting conundrum, and it is difficult to come up with a clear-cut answer. On one hand, I think indoor exercise facilities should encourage the use of masks for low-impact physical activities, coupled with physical distancing at all times. However, I also think wearing a mask while doing vigorous exercise would be extremely difficult and would pose health concerns, such as maintaining proper oxygen levels. One of my co-workers and I were talking a few weeks ago about her children playing basketball with masks on, and I wondered how they would be able to perform their best while wearing a mask. Physical and mental well-being, especially this season of the year, are both extremely important, but I am not entirely sure if I would enforce mask wearing for all types of exercise at an indoor facility. One solution could be to limit the number of non-mask wearing people allowed in the facility and maintain strict distancing, but I think there would always be a risk involved. Thanks again for sharing; you really made me think about this one!
ReplyDelete